Thursday 5 April 2018

Thank You For Loving Me As Your Own

My sisters parents left her when she was two. She doesn't remember it, of course. She has only the clothes she was wearing when she was found in an alley in South Korea and the note sewn to the inside of her coat with her name. We don't know what happened to her parents, but we feel that they felt their only option to save her was to give her up. I can't imagine giving up a child, but I do know I'd do anything to save my children. I hope I'm never faced with that kind of choice, but if I am, I hope I'm brave enough to make the hard decisions. 

My parents had two small children when they felt called to adoption. At the time, international adoption wasn't a very common thing, and they weren't sure where to start. Slowly, they navigated the overwhelming paperwork and started the process of bringing the child of their heart home. It took almost 2 years, but finally my sister was in our arms and a part of our family from the moment we laid eyes on her.

I can say without any hesitation that family doesn't have to be a blood relative. I never doubt that my sister was always meant to be a part of our family. She is a big a part of my heart as my biological siblings. My parents raised her as their own, and that's what she is, ours.

For mother's day, my sister gave my mother a bracelet that said "Thank you for loving me as your own" and my father a keychain with "Thank you for loving me as your own." It is beautiful, handstamped jewelry. My mother was very emotional when she opened it, and even my father shed a tear or two. What a gift adoption has been to our family. What a gift my sister is to us every single day.
https://www.southernstamped.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment